Team Beachbody!

Monday, December 21, 2009

It's amazing what nostalgia can make you realize!

I got a chance to write a TON in my new journal this evening. I was in the section where it asked a lot about my childhood. And it got me thinking about a lot and I got totally nostalgic.
I used to LOVE playing outside. I would ride my bike as much as possible. If I was inside, I was playing games like "restaurant" or "school." Yes, I would line up all of my stuffed animals and either teach them. Or turn them all into waiters/waitresses and people eating at my restaurant. I used to write up little menus and everything! I loved having my younger cousin around. I am technically an only child, so whenever my cousin was around, I was happy! I never watched much tv. A) dad was always in control of the remote or B) I had much more important things to do.
Anyway, what writing tonight really got me thinking about was how AWESOME it is for me to have a second childhood through/with my girls! And how much they would probably love to be able to remember me being totally active with them and their activities. I mean, we don't get to be kids again, but most of us are at least given the opportunity to be able to enjoy our child(rens) childhood!
With technology nowadays, it makes it a helluva lot easier for parents to become lazy. I'm totally guilty of it. I will be one of the first to admit to using the tv as a babysitter, even for Erin sometimes. Sometimes it just seems easier to throw something into Shannon's dvd player. Yes, my 3 year old has a tv and dvd player in her room. But, I'm happy to say she has never been one to be able to strictly sit down and watch a movie. She's so creative! She will either draw or have a tea party with animal or even build amazing castles and towers with her legos. Video games, don't even get me started on video games. My husband, I swear, has more video games than we have movies, combined! He said it all started when their uncle gifted them a playstation when they were kids. I never even sat down and seriously played a video game until 3 years ago. I can honestly say, I would be beyond happy if my girls never find an interest in them.
Anyway, tired of ranting about that. I just want my kids to be able to write in their journals someday and have memories of being able to play together or even with Warren and I. Maybe this is something I can add to my New Years resolution. Yes, I'm actually going to compile resolutions this year! And it looks like I can start with "become my children's best friend.."

2 comments:

Allie said...

I love this entry! I played outside so much when I was a kid too. John and I used to ride our bikes all over Colusa when we were kids! We had a lot of good times.

Technology is scary how it controls everything we do. When I'm in school, if I'm not in class, I'm on the computer. Between facebook, myspace and having to do research, write papers and return emails, I'm starring at the screen most of my day!! And Brad with the video games is scary. He has been playing since he was like 2 years old. He's had almost all the systems thru out his life. he has an obsession and it scares me!

So I think your resolution to play with your girls and be their best friend is great!

Jane said...

Seriously! It wigs me out. It's amazing how much Warren can tune out when he's playing his video game. It's like he's in a sound-proof, glass box! Thanks for the comment Allie! =o)